Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Keep on climbing


Staircase in Amsterdam., originally uploaded by cutjas.

This past week was jammed packed for me, I started helping coach a Basketball team for 8-12 year olds, I had my first practice for the soccer team I will be playing with, I voted, I went to a Willow Creek Leadership Conference on behalf of The International Justice Mission, helped collect boxes for the Christmas Child Program, I spoke, and participated in a Theological discussion Small group. Not to mention, meeting with the couple (Chris and Eva) that I am starting a small group with on Saturday, which was more fun than work.

Where to start? We have a new president-elect in the USA and that is always a good thing to get past the election. It was funny being over here in the Netherlands I had forgotten how historic it is that an Africa-American is going to be our new president. I was reminded of this from my father and pastor, who both lived through the civil rights times of the 60’s and my own personal looking back over U.S. history, regardless of political views or who you voted or didn’t vote for, this is historic that we as a country elected a Black man.

I continued my volunteer work with International Justice Mission (IJM) by manning a table at the Willow Creek Leadership Conference in Lelystad, just north of Amsterdam. It was humbling to see the response of people who were moved by the mission of IJM and want to get involved. There were Pastors and leaders from all over the Netherlands and people wanted to do everything they could to help, from Praying for the Mission to a group of young men who wanted to go and do a raid for IJM. I was very pleased to see how these people were willing to help those in need on the other side of the world. I am very excited to see what will happen with IJM Netherlands.

I was able to help collect boxes for the Operation Christmas Child and it was awesome!! Being able to see adults, kids, families come up and give gifts, which will be distributed to kids around the world. It was very touching. I remember two little kids a boy and girl, bother and sister, who were both so proud of the boxes they had shopped for and packed. They wanted to make sure that their boxes would be delivered to another child. It was very touching to see kids so young be so selfless and concerned for others. Needless to say this was a high point of my week.

Monday night I met for the second time with a group of people who are wrestling through theological questions. We shared a meal, which my friend Dirk and I prepared…mainly Dirk, but I cut vegetables. We ate food, had some laughs then engaged in a good teaching by Andrew Perriman. We covered many subjects and had some good conversations surround questions of theology and scripture. It was a good night of wrestling with tough questions of God, faith and life; we didn’t come up with a lot of answers, but had some profound thoughts along the way.

Sunday night we had a worship evening. Kevin had asked me to prepare some remarks for this service, nothing big just 5-7 minutes. The theme for the evening was wholehearted ness. I was very nervous, but have learned that if I am going to speak I have to distract myself right up until I am going to speak, that helps my nerves go away. I gave my talk; it was about the Shama (The Jewish Prayer in Deut. 6, Hear oh Israel, The Lord your God, the Lord is one…), the story of the widow who gave her last two coins (Mark 12:42-44), and some of my life. The basic point was that God delights in the simple daily obedience that we give him. As the widow gave her extremely modest tithe and Jesus us said, “…this widow has given more than anyone else…” I challenged us as individuals and a church to ask God what are our two coins we can offer to God. How can we make ourselves wholeheartedly available to God?

I was very humbled by the response of this talk. Its weird, when I was up there, I was so nervous, wondering why are all these people starring at me? Not knowing what people are thinking, I was very nervous and uncomfortable. After the service, I had people coming up to me and saying how much they appreciated the talk. How they found it very meaningful to them. I was even told that one man said, “that he went to the communion table for the first time in 30 years because of my words.” That was more than I could bear, I don’t know how to handle that kind of statement. I do not have an emotional category to deal with those types of compliments. Its two days later and I am still overwhelmed by how God moved in that service and worked through me.

I am not one who is looking to be in the limelight. After the service I started stacking chair, not because it was the humble servant thing to do, but because its what I know. It’s easier for me to go and stack chairs than stand in front of a crowd and share my heart. Those of you, who know me, know that I am more comfortable stacking chairs, swinging a hammer or sitting with a couple friends talking.

I do know that this is an area that God is challenging me to step out in and that despite my fears and nerves I have to be obedient. Whether people like it or not, its more about putting myself in a place where I know I have to rely on God and not just myself. This was a stretching and challenging thing for me to do, but I am glad I did it and I am looking forward to the next time I can share to see what God will do.

Well this was another good week in Den Haag. Till next time, “That’s All Folks.”

Jason Cutshall

Prayer Requests:
1) My cousin Zach is having knee surgery today, Tuesday nov 11th, pray for him and his speedy recovery.
2) I am part of a new Small Group plant, pray it goes well
3) We are planning a Christmas Party for Crossroads church, pray it is a good time of fun
4) Pray that God will continue to challenge me and that I will continue to grow
5) Pray for discernment and guidance as I figure out what to do next in my life.

No comments: