Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Another Beautiful Day in South Holland


Prinses Mariestraat, originally uploaded by cutjas.

Hello everyone,

As my boss, Kevin, always says, “Its another beautiful day in south Holland,” normally he says this when it is cold and rainy, but today it actually is a beautiful day, clear sky’s, crisp air, and a bright sun. Riding my bike in to the office today I noticed in the clear blue sky some airplane tracks in the sky, it was a glorious scene and made the trip in a little easier.

This past weekend was a big weekend for myself. I played in my first ever-Dutch league football (soccer) match. Our game was on Saturday around 2:30, when the game started it was sunny and warming up…well during the game it rained once, hailed three times, and was friggin’ cold. It was a good game; I opened the scoring with a delightful header in the middle of the first half. Needless to say this made me the best friend of everyone on our time right away. We ended up tying the game 2-2. I had a lot of fun and am looking forward to hanging out with the guys more often. Hopefully, all my games go this well.

I know in my last entry I mentioned feeling a little homesick and missing Minnesota. Well that was cured on Sunday when it snowed here for about 7 hours!!! It was cold, snowy and gray, I loved every minuet of it. There is something special about the first snow of the year and this was a good one. Granted all the snow is now melted, that doesn’t matter, all that matters is that I got to see some snow, and bike around in it as well. My soul is now at peace.

This past Friday night I hosted a movie night at the Perriman’s house. Again, we had about 10 people and watched “Rainman”…definitely “Rainman.” I had never seen this movie before and I liked it a lot. The bigger piece was that we had totally different people show up, for the most part. That was good because I was able to meet more folks and grow the social circle here. We watched the movie and then sat around a talked for a couple of hours, until the last people left. I am hoping these Friday night gatherings turn into something more regular, to just get people together and hanging out.

Now for the weekly Basketball update, I was able to learn all of the kids’ names this past week, it only took me a little less than a month to do that. We had a practice, no game. The kids were very enthusiastic about playing. They are getting better and learning more every week. We are still trying to break the nasty habit of throwing the ball up in the air when a defender comes new you, but I will take what I can get at this point.

Walking away this time was a little different, technically this was my last time coaching, but I have decided to try and stay on and keep coaching if I can. I am growing attached to these little rascals, how could you not? It is such a break from normal life, going and running around with these kids, whether their biggest worry is if you got the same amount of candy as the other guy just got. There is something refreshing about that. I was able to reflect on the simplicity of life for those kids while I was walking back to the train station. Not to over idealize this, I realize they have stress, responsibility, and problems, as do I. But I haven’t been that excited over getting a piece of candy in 20 years, (except when I get Candy Dorhman’s home made caramels). That two hours has turned in to a little vacation in my week, where can shed off everything I am suppose to be and do, and just be a little kid excited to run around and get some candy.

Prayer requests:
Soccer: normally I don’t believe in praying for sports, I don’t think it makes sense, but God was with me this past weekend, I haven’t scored a goal in years, and it instantly tore down walls and opened up friendships. Keep praying that things go well, we all have fun and that I can be a good friend to these guys.

Small Group: We are meeting Monday nights, right now just getting to know each other and figuring out what topics we want to study. Pray that things go well and that we gel and grow as a group.

Living Situation: The Perriman’s are going to be moving back to London after the first of the year. I will be moving in with Steve and Michael Malon. Pray for this transition for myself and the Perriman’s as it will be a hard transition for them and hopefully an easy one for myself.

ME: I am entering a very busy time, as is everyone, the next month and a half. I will be traveling for about 15 days in December, planning a Christmas Gala, helping lead a small group, playing soccer; doing homework…do you feel bad for me? Just kidding. I love everything I am doing, but it is a lot. I need energy, focus and protection.

Thank you all for your support and prayers, I appreciate all the notes and care packages I have received.

Have a great week!!!
Jason

2 comments:

David said...

you were very excited about candy in the last 20 years........do you remember???? Yes stealing my candy and eating it???? Yes now you remember!!! I love candy.

Jason Cutshall said...

I do remember that...you threatened to kill me...yes that was it. Man that was good candy. hahah