Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Illumination (a two month reflection and other stuff)


Illumination, originally uploaded by cutjas.

Hello everybody,

Well, as I have learned many, many times before that if you don’t slow yourself down nature has a way of doing it for you. This past week was relatively quiet, not because there wasn’t going on or because it didn’t have a lot to do, but because I was sick. I caught a little flu bug last Wednesday and have been fighting it ever since. I am sure you will all be glad to know that it did not stop me from have a good ole American Thanksgiving dinner.

Even though on Thursday I was in bed all day long, I mustered up the energy up and headed over to Kevin and Kathy Johnson’s for a big Thanksgiving feast. We had ten people, two dogs, and one well-prepared turkey. It was a blast of a day, where we played games, ate food and enjoyed some good company. We also had folks from all over the U.S., Minnesota, of course, Texas, and Georgia. It was fun to sit around and talk about the different traditions each of our families had.

Having this holiday also forced me to brush up on the history of Thanksgiving. It seemed that every non-American I met asked me what is Thanksgiving. It was refreshing to remind myself of where this all started and why we continue this day of thanks.

Also, last week I said, “good-bye” to my new friends Barry and Allie. They are a couple from the US, who I met at Crossroads and realized that Barry is from Minnesota (Plymouth) and was friends with one of my friends (Jason Smith, Brian Post). We hit it off right when we met and even though it was only a month that we knew each other I appreciated their friendship and the good times we had together.

It’s that time again, winter, cold, and sickness. I have been sick for about a week, I now have my energy back, but am still feeling flu-ish. It is always challenging for me to be sick, I hate not being able to think clearly and get my tasks done. Also, I never feel as though I am fully awake, which is equally frustrating. I spent most of the weekend in bed and read a little, but most of the time was sleeping. I wish I had a big spiritual reflection from this time, but I don’t and I don’t’ really want to make one up. I was sick, it sucked and I don’t like it, but I know that the rest has done me well and is serving as a warning to not over extend myself, as is my custom.

I have also passed the two-month mark and reflecting on my time here I am very pleased. It is hard to believe it has already been two months. My time here as been full, at first full of newness, then full of getting settled in my new position and making myself useful, now full of working toward my goals for my time here. I have not settled into cruise control, but life has become normal. I love biking everywhere and the friends I have here a growing very dear to me. Even though there is more change on the horizon, I am settled here for now and am happy to be where I am.

The work I am doing is going well and I am excited to see it continue into the New Year. I get to, my job is to, meet new people, plan parties, connect people together, start small groups and study…I love this! My role here really fits me well, it is challenging and rewarding, which usually goes together…but no always. I am very blessed to be working with a great staff of people, who are also becoming good friends and to be developing good relationships here in the community, from my small group to my Dutch football team, I have felt welcomed as a friend.

From the beginning I have challenged myself to bring what I have to serve this community and it is humbling to see how people have received who I am and to see how God has used me in people lives. I know that in the near future there will be new challenges and hardships, but I welcome them, for that is where the real growth comes. I can safely say that at the two-month mark I am doing well, enjoying my time here and look forward to the rest of my time in Den Haag.

Thank you all, Happy Sinter Klaas!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Jason Cutshall

Prayer Requests:
-Finances: I am close to having all my money for this trip to be completed and to give me a bit left over to stay on my feet when I return home in May, but I still need around $5,000.00 more dollars to be totally covered; between now and May.

-Perriman’s: As some of you know my current host family is in the process of moving back to London. This is a big transition for them, and myself, so pray for Andrew and Belinda as they transition back to London and enter new jobs and a new church home.

-Small Group: I, along with Christiaan and Eva D. have started a small group here in The Hague, we had our second meeting this past Monday and it went very well. Our group is very open and we get along quite well. Pray that we will be challenged in new areas and that we would be focused on what God wants this group to be.

-Me: I am still a little sick and need my energy back. Also, details of life, I will be traveling a lot in December and it will be a busy month for me, I need good time management and rest. The future, what to do next, I know this will become clearer as I go on, but I need wisdom and discernment. Also, I am moving to the burbs of Den Haag that will be a transition for myself, because it is on the other side of the city.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely photo.
Hope you're feeling better.
I miss Minnesota like mad all winter long here. It rained here tonight. I watched a performance of Handel's Messiah, and got rained on, in the same day: this feels wrong to me.
Safe travels to you, wherever you may go this December.

Jason Cutshall said...

becky,

yes, i miss MN as well, I have learned I need snow for winter to actually, in my mind, register as winter.

peace,
Jason