Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Christmas Reflection


Kara's house at Christmas time, originally uploaded by cutjas.

Hello,

It has been a busy couple of weeks for myself. I traveled to Budapest and spent time with my good friend Viktor and his family. I was back in The Hague for about 36 hours and then flew to Minneapolis, where I am now for Christmas.

There were many highlights in the last couple of weeks. Visiting my Viktor in Budapest was really special. I love seeing where people are from and meeting their family, also, Budapest is a beautiful city. We had a great time together and I really enjoyed his family. The highlight of the trip was going to a hot springs bath with his mother and godfather. It was a complete surprise to me. This was just what the doctor ordered for helping me to relax.

When I was back in The Hague, it was a real whirlwind. I was in the office all day, answering emails, and making sure all the last minute details were being covered for our Christmas Gala, which went fantastic. After racing through the day, I spent a nice evening at the Perriman’s house with our theological discussion group. We had dinner, had a good discussion about the “real” meaning of Christmas and then, after everyone had gone, Andrew, Belinda, and their son Samuel all sat around and had a nice chat to end the hectic day.

I arrived in Minneapolis just in time for a huge blizzard and tempratuer as low as -22 f (-30 c). I loved it, I know its sick, but I love winter and this is one of the reasons I wanted to come home for Christmas. The first few days home were crazy, running around trying to see all my friends who were heading out before the holiday. I had a great time, but got very little sleep. All in all my time home has been very good, I am feeling the support of all my family and friends in what I am doing in The Hague, and also being able to enjoy our lovely weather as well. I spent part of Monday running around taking pictures of our beautiful snow covered city, it was a lot of fun.

Now we are on the cusp of Christmas day and my mind is filled with thoughts of the last year and all that it has entailed. This time of year makes me look back both at my faith and at the calendar year. I look back to a year ago and wasn’t even sure if I wanted to move to Holland, and now I am pretty sure I would like to stay in Europe for a more full time position.

A year ago I was stressed out about relying on other people generosity to support myself, but now I see how God truly uses the whole body to accomplish his work in this world. I have been able to see how my friends who are working so hard in their jobs are able to partake in a ministry 4,000 miles away, blessing people they will probably never meet. It has been a hard and challenging year, but also one of the most rewarding to date.

I look ahead with excitement and anticipation as to what is in store for me next. I am constantly being challenged in my faith in God and my understanding of how God works in our world. I love being home, seeing family and friends, but also I can’t wait to get back to Holland to keep working. It has been a long time since I had this kind of motivation in my life, I can see that this is where God wants me to be.

I want to thank everyone who has prayed for me, supported me with money or encouragement or gifts. As I look back the most humbling part of this last year is seeing so many people believe in what God is doing through me. I am still amazed by how people have helped to bring me to this point. I pray for you all and will forever be in your debts. There is not a day that goes by that I don’t wish everyone who has helped out could see what God is doing through their gifts and prayers. Know that all your help is making a difference half way around the world.

Grace and Peace to you all in this Holiday Season,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Jason Cutshall

No comments: