Tuesday, February 3, 2009

This is real


20080929_IMG_0035, originally uploaded by cutjas.

Tuesday 3 February 2009

Hello everyone,

I don’t know how many of you played organized sports, but I did and loved it. I always found it funny that every game I play in there was this point in the game, usually a while into the competition where I would sort of stop and think, “I am in the game, this is for real.” It was an “ah ha” moment, where I realized this isn’t practice, nor am I on the bench, but this is for real and we only have a limited amount of time to accomplish our victory. This “ah ha” moment in the game was not a panic time, but for me it was a relaxing time. I am in the game, I was picked to be here, and I have something to bring. This moment in the game actually spurred me on to play better. Well this past week was one of those weeks. I realized that I am in the game.

First off, I want to get back to my basketball kids. We had our second practice after the Winter break and it was our best practice to date. It is so encouraging to see that the kids are getting it. I know for them it becomes more fun and it does the same for us as the coaches. We have one kid, Christoph, who is from Scotland and is becoming quite the jump shooter. Even though Christoph is about half the size of the ball itself, he is able to make his 10 foot shot pretty regularly. We also have a couple kids developing as leaders and helping the other kids figure out what is going on. Things were working really well last week and it was so encouraging.

The other piece is that we are able to teach these kids the lessons of life. Lesson’s that go beyond the sport field, the biggest lesson is paying attention. We have had to have talks with a few kids about paying attention to what we are instructing them to do. “If you want to play you have to pay attention or you won’t know what is going on.” This is a comment that we have had to use on several occasions and it is now starting to sink it. I am glad to see that the kids are beginning to take responsibility for their own learning. We can make it fun, and we can instruct, but like life, if you don’t put in the effort and pay attention then you will not get very far.

This is also, more important, when I hear about some of the home lives of a few of these kids. Most of them are internationals so they are not living in the native country and that is hard enough as a kid, but some have had parents divorced or separated. In these cases you want to comfort them and support them, and I view us teaching these lessons of taking responsibility as very helpful lessons for life. Lesson’s they may not be getting from their fathers. In some cases it goes directly against the example they have had from their fathers and hopefully this will have an impact on them, so they can say, “I don’t have to live like my dad did.” I know they are young, but these are very important lessons to learn and I am taking this time more serious everyday. I want these kids to have fun and enjoy basketball, but more I want them to learn the lessons that recreational activities have to teach us about life.

Ok, the funny story from the week of basketball. Keldon one of the older kids in the group, was shooting on a 20 foot basketball hoop. We normally work off of a 8 foot hoop, but some of the baskets in the gym were raised up. Anyway, Keldon was screaming, look at me, and then he would shoot and made a couple of baskets. One of these times, Keldon, screams (because kids don’t have normal voices, they scream), “Jason, Jason, look at me.” I look and he shoots and makes the basket. “Awesome!!” I say, and then I tell Keldon to come and make a basket on the 8 foot hoop. Keldon struts, yes struts over with this arrogant look, think oh I can do this, I just made a 20 foot basket. Keldon shoots, and KLANK, he missed. I told him, that maybe he should practice on the hoop we play on before he shoots on the hoops he will never play on. I don’t know if that advice sank it, as 5 min later he was back on the 20 foot hoop screaming again…haha, kids.

Looking back on this past week, I feel little opposite of Keldon. I feel as though I have been shooting on the 8 foot hoop for a long time and now I am shooting on the 10 foot hoop. The one we play on, the NBA hoop, in essence I am doing work for real. Its not school, its not training, this is real stuff.

The week for me started off with leading the International Justice Mission meeting on Tuesday, don’t get to impressed, all I did was make sure we started at 7:30 and end at 930, but this was an important meeting and talk about feeling like this is for real, this is. Trying to help out an organization like IJM is a great honor and I am more and more impressed by their organization the more I learn about it. In saying yes to leading this meeting I was completely in over my head. I am not a lawyer or a business man; I am a intern, at best an amateur theologian. I was leading a meeting of international lawyers, business people and other professionals. It was very humbling, but being the blockhead that I am I didn’t realize this until after when I reflecting on the meeting. During the meeting I am so focused on getting through the agenda and making sure we end on time. After I think about the people in the room and the lives we are trying to impact and that is where the weight of what we are doing really hits me. This is for real; there are accomplished international business people, international lawyers, people that are at the tops of their field and its time to play ball.

Next was the Strengths Finder Seminar I led on Saturday. I interned for two years with an organization called Leadership Vision, which used the Strengths Finder exam to help people start looking at their strengths in their life. We would work with churches, schools, and businesses. I saw how my bosses both lead seminar’s that changed how people thought about themselves and began to view themselves in a very positive and life changing way. I saw how teens, young adults, and people on the verge of retirement were able to answer the question, “am I doing what I was created to do?”

Well, now I was running the seminar. I was so worried that I would not be able to present the material in a way that would help and be beneficial to people. With a lot of help from my friend and former boss Mike, the seminar went great. I was able to present the material in a way that was accessible and helpful. More so, I have had comments and seen people begin to think about their lives in terms of “is this what I am created to do?” As I reflected on the seminar, I began to realize that this too is for real. Helping to figure out what they were created to do is serious business, you have the opportunity to greatly influence a person’s life and the direction it is going and that again, forced me to say, “its game time.”

I know it’s been almost 6 months into my internship and looking around I am in the game. I am excited to be here and see what I can and do contribute. All the while seeing how God is opening doors and has gifted me to help people in a way that gives myself and others life. Clearly, this week has been an “ah ha” week in that I am starting to see how the gifting God has given me can translate into real life change.

I hope no one is reading this and thinking that you have to do my work to bring real change that is not my intention at all. My intention in this blog is to update my week and share my reflections on my life. If was an accountant or a janitor I hope that I would have the same “ah ha” weeks from God to show me how my work makes a difference, but I am not, I am an intern in a church and this is how God is using me. I hope that this blog encourages all of you and blesses you as well. Thanks again to all that are supporting me and praying for me and bringing me out for lunch and coffee, it really does make a difference in my life. I hope that you all are sharing in the blessings I am receiving because if it wasn’t for you all, I would not be here doing what God has for me.

Groetjes, greeting, and many blessings,
Jason

Prayer Requests:
1) Future plans: Sweden, the Hague, I am still praying about my future here in Europe and trying to decided between Gothenburg Sweden and The Hague. Pray for clarity and calling.
2) Family: It is hard not to be around my family, we are able to talk on the phone and I am at peace about where I am, but still it’s hard not to be around family.
3) Health: I will be traveling a lot in the next 2 months; most work some just fun travel. I need to pray for my health, that I will remain healthy so that I can do the work in the places I am going and get enough rest when I have the chance.

No comments: